By Carroll Pursell
- 22 unique essays through specialist students disguise an important good points of yank know-how, together with advancements in vehicles, tv, and computing
- Analyzes the ways that applied sciences are geared up, resembling within the engineering career, executive, drugs and agriculture
- Includes discussions of the way applied sciences have interaction with race, gender, type, and different organizing constructions in American society
Read or Download A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Best history of technology & engineering books
This attention-grabbing booklet could be of as a lot curiosity to engineers as to artwork historians, analyzing because it does the evolution of computer layout technique from the Renaissance to the Age of Machines within the nineteenth century. It presents special research, evaluating layout ideas of engineers of the fifteenth century Renaissance and the nineteenth century age of machines from a workshop culture to the rational medical self-discipline used at the present time.
Praised for its skill to kill bugs successfully and cost effectively and reviled as an ecological probability, DDT keeps to engender ardour around the political spectrum as one of many world's such a lot arguable chemical insecticides. In DDT and the yank Century, David Kinkela chronicles using DDT around the globe from 1941 to the current with a selected specialise in the U.S., which has performed a severe function in encouraging the worldwide use of the pesticide.
It is a consultant to the sphere identity and laboratory research of steel slags present in archaeological sites.
Good earlier than the innovation of maps, gazetteers served because the major geographic referencing approach for centuries. which includes a really expert index of position names, gazetteers ordinarily associated descriptive parts with topographic gains and coordinates. putting Names is electrified via that culture of discursive place-making and by means of modern techniques to electronic information administration that experience revived the gazetteer and guided its improvement in contemporary many years.
- Forestry in the U.S. South: A History
- Track Changes
- Edison's Electric Light (Johns Hopkins Introductory Studies in the History of Technology)
- Still Turning: A History of Aermotor Windmills (Tarleton State University Southwestern Studies in the Humanities)
- Electric City: General Electric in Schenectady (Kenneth E. Montague Series in Oil and Business History)
Extra info for A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) by Carroll Pursell